Thursday, August 12, 2010

[eight]

Patrick's POV

I definitely had a buzz going. First the win, then the alcohol, and then I had finally made progress with Peydon. Did she still appear to hate me? Rarely. Or at least only during the moments she remembered to. I could tell I was breaking down her guard, and I was actually a little surprised at how easily her walls had seem to come tumbling down.

Naturally, I wondered what happened to her to make them go up in the first place, and under any other circumstances, I don't know that I'd be willing to sit around to wait and find out. But for some strange reason, I couldn't help myself. I don't know why I felt the need to stick around, why I felt the need to make her open up to me, or why I felt the need to fill the look in her eerily vacant eyes, almost as if she was afraid to see what was in front of her. Now I was referring to myself, I'm not that cocky, but instead to seeing the world in front of her in general. What was she so afraid to see? What was she trying to hide from?

She jumps slightly, and I turn to look at her just like I did the first times it happened tonight in the whole fifteen minutes she had been sleeping. I watch her eyelids flicker but not open, and I wonder what is plaguing her dreams. Or nightmares, maybe I should say.

She'd jumped a dozen times, flinched and moved around ever since her eyelids closed, nothing like the deep sleep she was in desperate need of. All of this movement made me wonder what was going on in that mind of hers.

But all of these jerky movements give me so much information. Not that I want her in pain, but while she is asleep her walls and gone and I can tell so much more about her. First off, it proves that she hasn't gotten a good nights sleep in the longest time, which I predicted from the dark circles under her eyes. But at least now I know why they are there.

As to the reasons behind her restlessness, I can only imagine.

I look at my watch, and I consider calling Jon, getting him to get her roommate to come home so we can at least go inside, but I start to notice her rigid movements begin to fade away and she is steadily becoming more calm so I decide against it.

My efforts would have been useless anyways, since I begin to hear Jon and her roommate making their way toward us. They come around the corner, and her eyes automatically fall on us.

"She didn't have her key," I pronounce with a shrug of my shoulders, thinking that will make her stop staring at me like she is. But it doesn't. "So we couldn't get in," I add when she continues to stare at me.

She shakes herself out of it and heads toward the door with her key in hand. She puts it in the lock and unlocks the door, but before she opens the door she stops and looks at me, which in turn has Jon looking at me because he can't figure out what the hell she's doing either.

"She's still," she whispers while looking down at Peydon, who is still sleeping.

"I guess she was just really worn out or something, I don't know," I say with a shrug of my shoulders before beginning to scoop her up in my arms and take her inside. There is no use to waking her up if she's sleeping so sounding, which is obviously odd if even her roommate is amazed. I stand up to walk inside, but Shelby still hasn't moved. She is still standing still, looking down at Peydon.

"You don't understand," she says while shaking her head and then finally walking through the door, allowing the rest of us into their cozy apartment. "It doesn't matter how tired she is, she doesn't sleep. Ever."

I stand there, Peydon in my arms, and try my best to let her have her mini-speech, because I need her to like me. But as second by second goes by Peydon gets heavier and heavier. I try to act like it's nothing, but as Shelby opens her mouth to speak again she suddenly decides against it, and just points in the direction of the hallway.

"Her bedroom is the second door on the left," she tells me before turning her attention back to Jon. I nod my head before heading in the direction she gave me.

I take her to her room and lay her down and strip her down to her underwear and tank top to sleep in.

"You took her clothes off for her?" I hear from the doorway, and suddenly I feel as if I've over-stepped a boundary I shouldn't have.

"I didn't see the point in her sleeping in those clothes, it would have been so uncomfortable, and I didn't think-"

"And she didn't wake up?" Shelby interjects as I'm pulling the covers up around Peydon's neck, tucking her in.

"Nope, didn't budge," I answer while standing up to leave. I walk toward the door, but once again Shelby doesn't move.

"Maybe you should stay tonight." My eyes immediately bulge out of their socket. "She's hasn't been this calm in a long time," she continues while looking right past me to where Peydon is still resting peacefully. "She really needs a good nights sleep," she adds while pushing me back in the room and shutting the door.

I don't know where Shelby's sudden change of heart came from when regarding me, but I'm not sure I mind as I head back toward the bed. Having a partner in crime when it comes to Peydon definitely won't be a disadvantage..

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you picked this story back up! I hope to see more soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok i love this story its soooo good update soon

    ReplyDelete